Friday, October 4, 2019

Chaos

Saigon Traffic
oil painting by Jane McElvany Coonce

The new show at Gallery Underground this month is called "Chaos."  I submitted this piece, "Saigon Traffic", and it was used on the postcard to advertise the show.  That's always exciting for an artist to be featured on their advertising. It's hanging in a prime spot in the gallery.  It really looks great!

 I did this painting from a photo I took in Vietnam.  I was on a bus, and as I looked at the window, all I saw was wall to wall mopeds on the street.  It was an amazing site. Although the official name of the city is Ho Chi Mien City, the locals there would correct me and say they still called it Saigon.

Crossing the street as a pedestrian is a daunting task.  The locals also told me not to look both ways. They said to have faith, and step off the curb and look straight ahead. Whatever you do, you must not look at the oncoming traffic.  The reason is, if you just look straight, then you just walk at an even pace, and the drivers on mopeds know how to go around you.  But if you look at the traffic coming at you, you will stop.  This will mess the drivers up, and they will hit you.  So I followed the advice, although it was very scary not to look, and I just walked straight, knowing that hundreds of mopeds were coming towards me.  But the advice was sound; the mopeds went around me and I made it to the other side in one piece.

Vietnam was a beautiful country.  I really enjoyed my visit there.  If you want to get a little taste of Saigon, come to Gallery Underground in Crystal City this month.  The reception is tonight, Friday, October 4 from 5 to 7 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment