Sunday, April 24, 2016

Rocks and Surf

Crashing Waves No. 1
by Jane McElvany Coonce

Rough Surf on the Rocks No. 3
by Jane McElvany Coonce
In my class, I try to think of projects for my students to do so they get experience with all kinds of things to paint.  One of the projects this semester was to conquer rocks (which is not easy) and surf.  I teach 4 classes (2 day and 2 night classes) and in each one, I do a demonstration.  Usually, if the demonstration looks half way decent, I take them home and finish it up in the studio.

Here are two of the 4 demonstrations I did.  (The other 2, I still need to work on before they are presentable to the public.) I added the seagulls to add some life to the scenes.  I may take these down to Rehoboth Art League and put them in the gallery at the beach this summer.

I will post the other two once I finish them up.

I've got several projects going on right now so I'm not sure when I'll get to the other two.  I'm doing a portrait commission of Judge Esther Wiggins who is retiring from the juvenile court system of Arlington County.  I can't post what I've done so far because there will be an unveiling on May 20, but I will post a photo of the painting once the ceremony has taken place.  It's been a fun portrait to do.  She is a beautiful woman, and she doesn't look old enough to retire.  I'm honored that I was selected to do this commission.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment