Monday, August 2, 2021

Magic of the Ordinary

This week, Gallery Underground unveils its national juried show, Magic of the Ordinary. I was lucky enough to get a piece in called "Remnants of Summer." It's a trompe l'oeil piece. Trompe l'oeil is french for "fool the eye." A painting is painted hyper realistically and the objects in the painting have to be life size. I painted this to look like an old shutter with peeling paint. Hanging by a nail is a pair of flip flops. Also there are some sunglasses, a postcard of Dolles, the iconic sign on the boardwalk of Rehoboth, and a miniature American flag. I only paint in the trompe l'oeil style about once a year. They are very labor intensive, and they take a long time to complete. I always say, this will be my last trompe l'oeil, and then after a while, I forget how much work they are, and end up planning a new one. But for now, this is my latest trompe l'oeil. It will be at Gallery Underground in Crystal City for the month of August. There will be an opening reception this Friday, from 5 - 7 pm. Hope you'll stop by and see the show. I have other paintings there, too, that are in the members show. I'll be there Friday night. Maybe our paths will cross. Bring friends. Gallery Underground is located at 2100 Crystal Drive. There is free parking in the garage at 20th St. Week day hours are Monday - Friday from 10am to 6 pm. They are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment