Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Medicine Cabinet by Jane McElvany Coonce



I got the most amazing email for Mother's Day.  It was from someone who bought a painting from me back in 2008.  I had a show at Georgetown University's Hospital. The painting was of a medicine cabinet painted in the trompe l'oeil style.  The cabinet was full of things that you would find in a medicine cabinet such as tooth brushes, tooth paste, razors and even false teeth! (You always need a little humor in a trompe l'oeil painting.)

Anyway, here's the email I received today:

"Hello Ms. Coonce,
I am writing to thank you for creating"The Medicine Cabinet" acrylic artwork that I discovered while my son was hospitalized at Georgetown 4 years ago.  I enjoyed your display there which coincided with his recovery from a very serious condition.  The happy ending included purchasing a piece of your work which now serves as a daily reminder that miracles do happen!
I hope the knowledge that your work lives on in meaningful ways brightens your day?
Thanks!


It's stories like that that make being an artists one of the most fantastic jobs in the world.  And what a great Mother's Day present , too!

No comments:

Post a Comment