Thursday, December 5, 2013

December 2013 - The Art League Show

Winter Snow on the Potomac
by Jane McElvany Coonce
As I do every month, I entered The Art League juried show and had my fingers crossed.  One never knows what a judge will like.   I put in an oil of a snowy scene of Key Bridge and Georgetown.  I had done it in watercolor, and it sold right away.  So I decided to do the same scene in oil.  I did it from a photo I took when the Potomac had frozen over and was covered in snow.  That doesn't happen very often.  I also realized that as many times as I had painted the Key Bridge, I had never done a winter scene.

Luckily, the judge liked it and selected it for the December show.  I've had a string of luck with The Art League shows.  I've been selected every month for the last 5 months.  It's not an easy feat because there are at least 600 entries each month with only room for around 100 or so paintings.

If you get a chance, go down to Old Town Alexandria and visit the Torpedo Factory.  The Art League gallery is on the first floor.  It's always fun to see what a judge selects.  You might even get some Christmas shopping in while you are down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment