Sunday, February 22, 2015

Big Sky Series- No. 1

Big Sky Over Georgetown No. 1
oil painting by Jane McElvany Coonce
I've started a new series called the "big sky" series, and I'm incorporating it into an old series of the Key Bridge and Georgetown.  Each semester in my classes, I try to think of a new project for my students to do.  Some people have been in my classes for years, and they need new ideas to inspire them.  This semester I decided to do "big skies."  In this type of painting,  2/3 to 3/4 of the painting is about the sky.  In a normal landscape, the sky is usually a backdrop for the main event.  However when the sky is the focal point, the artist focuses on the sky and the clouds and has them make the big statement.  But I still can't escape my favorite bridge and my favorite subject.  So I put a small Key Bridge and Georgetown in the distance to show how big the sky is in comparison to our world.

I have to say these "cloud paintings" are becoming addicting.  I'm really enjoying them.  I've done day scenes with white cumulous clouds and evening scenes with wispy purple clouds.  I'm trying to get 6 done for a show in April at the Gallery Underground.  I will be the featured artist that month and I wanted to have a theme.  So I will do the unveiling of my big sky paintings at the April reception (although you are getting a preview of what will be at the show.)  Mark your calendars for Friday, April 3 at the Gallery Underground in Crystal City.  The Big Sky paintings will be up for the month of April.

I will put more of my big sky paintings up in the next few days.  Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment