Saturday, February 7, 2015

Nandina

Nandina
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce

I had a big surprise today.  I went over the the gallery to meet up with a friend and head down to the Richard Estes show at the American Art Museum (which, by the way, was mind blowing. Tomorrow is the last day to see it.)
When I walked into the gallery, I was told  my painting, "Nandina, had sold.  It's a watercolor I did when I was studying the leaves and berries of a gorgeous scrub that grows out my front door.
It was with joy and sadness that I heard this news.  I was thrilled that someone loved it enough to buy it, but I was sad because I loved it, too, and had planned on hanging it in my dining room after it made the rounds in several shows.  But I'm happy that a friend of mine, Sandra Hill, bought it.  So I can still see it from time to time when I go over to her house.  This happens to artist at times.  You do a painting that you don't care if it ever sells because you like it so much and don't mind keeping it.  It doesn't happen with every painting because we really can't afford to own all of our own paintings.  So there are always those select few that you miss after they are sold.  Nandina is one of them.

After I got home from the Richard Estes show, I learned that I sold another painting, "Rehoboth Night", at Stifel and Capra.  I think today was a lucky day.

Rehoboth Night
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce


No comments:

Post a Comment