Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Kaleidoscope

Jim Patton's Band
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce
The latest National Juried Show is at Gallery Clarendon.  I was lucky enough to get juried into the show entitled "Kaleidoscope."  The painting that I have in the show is of my friend, Jim Patton, his wife Sherry and the rest of the band. Jim is playing the guitar, and Sherry is the singer.

 It's a watercolor, but I did it a little differently than the traditional watercolor way.  I sprayed water on the paper.  Then I dropped in some colors: yellow, rose, and blue.  I held the paper up and let it run and drip anyway it wanted to.  I set it down and let it dry.  Then I went back into it and painted it the way I would a normal watercolor.  But the drips affect the look and give it an electrifying look, the same effect their music has on its listeners. 

Jim Patton is from Annapolis, but now lives in Austin, Texas.  Once or twice a year, Jim and Sherry come back to Annapolis to preform.  I always try to get up and see them.  This painting was done from a photo I took when they were up here in the summer.

The show will hang from January 6th to February 8, 2020.  The reception is this Friday, January 10th from 5 to 7pm.  I'll be there if you want to stop by.  Gallery Clarendon is located at 2800 Clarendon Blvd. at the corner of Fillmore St.  The gallery is open 7 days a week from 11 am to 7 pm.  If you can't make it to the reception, stop by another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment