Sunday, January 19, 2020

View from Watergate

View from the Watergate
oil painting by Jane McElvany Coonce

I just finished my first painting for 2020.  It's my favorite bridge, Key Bridge, with Georgetown in the background.  However, this time, I painted it from a totally different angle.  This is down river by the Watergate (made famous by Nixon.)

When I went over to see George Bush's paintings at the Kennedy Center, I also took a walk on the newly built foot ramp that crosses over the busy road (Virginia Ave) to a path along the river.  There are beautiful views of Georgetown at an angle I've never painted before.

I took lots of photos as I walked along.  I did a watercolor of this scene last fall, but this is the first oil.

I need for it to dry so I can sign it.  Then I will take it over to my 2nd floor studio at Gallery Clarendon.  The sad news is that Gallery Clarendon is closing Feb 8.  The landlords have rented it to a pizza place.  We are sad to lose the gallery, but are happy that we had the opportunity to run a gallery there for a year and a half.  So stop by and take a look at our beautiful gallery before it closes.

No comments:

Post a Comment