Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The Removal of Appomattox

Appomattox: The Defeated Confederate
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce
I was surprised last week when the city of Alexandria suddenly removed the statue called "Appomattox" from the middle of Washington St. and Prince St.
This was a controversial statue for several reasons, one being that it was of a confederate soldier and the other that lots of cars hitting it caused many traffic accidents.  It was in the middle of an intersection and Washington St. is the main thoroughfare through Old Town Alexandria.

I happened to be stuck in traffic one day and was the first one at the stoplight at Prince and Washington.  I took out my cell phone and took photos because I thought this would make a great painting.  I didn't really think about it as a political controversy.  As an artist, I judge statues as how the artist rendered it.  James Muir, the sculptor that produced Appomattox, captured the forlorned look: the body is slumped, the head down, the hat in hand all tell the story of the anguish of defeat.

I never thought of this sculpture as a political one. I just loved how the artist captured the mood.  As my artist friend, Sybil Bedner-Ostrowski said, "I loved that statue.  It wasn't about glorifying one side of that particular war or the other.  It was pure art.  A most beautiful rendering of sadness, hopelessness and fatigue.  Human suffering transcends politics."  I know a lot of people won't see it the same way artists do.  I understand why it was controversial, but it still is a beautiful piece of art. 

Sculpture by James Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment