Thursday, April 2, 2020

Sculpture

 I don't know if many of you know this, but I also do sculpture (although I haven't done one in a while.). After I had my 2nd son, Kevin, I wanted to do something different.  I hired a babysitter once a week to come in while I went to a sculpture class.  It was a great escape, and I found that I really loved getting my hands in the clay.

Here are two sculptures that I did.  You can't really work from a photograph because you need to see the person from every angle.  You really need to have a model.   I had two great sculpture teachers.  One was Gretta Bader (who was also the real life mother of "Jethro" on the Beverly Hillbillies) and the other was Jay Hall Carpenter (who did many of the gargoyles at the National Cathedral.) I feel very lucky that I got to study with them.  They were both fabulous teachers as well as fabulous artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment