Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Celebration of Color" Show

Remains of the Day
by Jane McElvany Coonce

While I was in Italy, the Arlington Artists Alliance had a juried show called the Celebration of Color.  I knew I would be gone when artists had to submit paintings, so I left them with a friend to turn in for me.  The juror was Daniel Wise, and he picked 41 paintings from about 75 entries.  My painting, "Remains of the Day" was selected.  This was a still life I did from a set up of empty bottles and glasses that I've been collecting.  I knew I wanted to do an"after the party" painting.  I got balloons at the store and dug through my closets to find a mask, party horns and Mardi Gras beads.  Once the still life was set up, I painted nonstop for 3 days because I knew I couldn't keep this "mess" set up forever.  It's a large painting (30x40 inches) done in oil.  I think it's a happy painting.  Although the party is over, it looks like a good time was had by all.  The colors are bright and cheerful. Who knows; maybe someone is under the table sleeping off their good time.

The Celebration of Color show is at the Northern Virginia Art Center in Crystal City.  I hope you can get over there and see the show.  It's definitely a colorful show!

No comments:

Post a Comment