Friday, May 17, 2013

Panama Canal Cruise - 1st Day of Class

I recently taught an art class on the cruise ship that went through the Panama Canal.  I thought I would tell you a little bit about the trip and show you some of my students' works.  We started off from San Diego and sailed east, ending up in Ft. Lauderdale.  I only had to teach when we were at sea.  When we were in port, we were free to get off the ship and explore.
by Jane McElvany Coonce
The first port we went to was Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.  To the left is a picture of "The Arch", a rock formation that Cabo is noted for.  I make all the lesson plans of scenes that we would see, so this was the first project my students did.  I did a demo, and then they went back to their tables and painted.  Most of the people had never painted before .  So it is phenomenal to see what these people did each day.  Each class is only an hour long, which really isn't much time.  The ship provides the brushes and paint to each student, but the colors are limited so we have to work with what they give us.  Everyone did a fantastic job, and it made the teaching job a blast!  Below are a few of the works students did in the first class.
by Edra Zellers
by Shannon Halprin
by Greg DeGuire

by Anita Nestor

No comments:

Post a Comment