Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Donating Art

Watering the Garden
Pastel by Jane McElvany Coonce
Every year, I am approached by various groups asking me to donate a painting for their annual fundraiser.  I'm sure many artists are asked the same thing.  A donation of a painting can bring in a lot of money for a group.  There are several non profit groups that I donate paintings to each year.

Most of the time when I donate a painting, they auction it or sell it at their gala event and that's the end of it.  Sometimes, you have two people in a bidding war over a painting.  (That really makes an artist feel good.)  I had one woman come up to me at an event an say, " I don't care how much that other person bids, I am going to get that painting."  And she did!  She probably paid twice of what it was worth, but it was for a good cause, and she got what she wanted.  The other bidder was very sad that she didn't win.  She came up to me and told me how disappointed she was.  I told her, that if she wanted, I would do another one that was similar, and she could donate the last bid she made to the organization.  She did!  So a lot of money was brought in by that painting.

The painting above, Watering the Garden, is a pastel that will be at the Arlington Free Clinic's 21st Annual benefit Gala this year.  It will be held on Saturday, October 24 from 6 pm to midnight at the Ritz Carlton at Tysons Corner. It's a black-tie affair that includes dinner, dancing,  and live and silent auctions.  Last year's 20th anniversary gala raised $1.3 million to support the clinic's operations.  I feel honored that I can help in some small way to support the clinic ,and at the same time, turn someone into an art collector.  Everyone needs art in their house!



For information on tickets and sponsorship opportunities, call (703) 979-1425, ext. 143, or see the Web site at www.gala.arlingtonfreeclinic.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment