Friday, February 15, 2013

Sudoku Anyone?

Sudoku Anyone?
by Jane McElvany Coonce

In May, I'm going to have another solo show at the Northern Virginia Art Center at Crystal City.  I have about 8 big paintings, but I'm trying to do a few smaller ones so that there is something for everyone.

I just finished 2 in the last two weeks.  The first one is called "Sudoku Anyone?"  I steamed some crabs last summer and set up a still life.  I took lots of pictures.  In this painting, the streamed crabs are laying on newspaper with a Sudoku game at the claws of one of the crabs.  (Maybe I should have put a pencil in his claw?)
It does look like this crab wants to try his hand at the game of Sudoku.  In the back ground is the old basket my dad and I used when we went crabbing down at the Chesapeake Bay.  My grandparents lived in Norfolk, so we spent many an afternoon throwing out a trot line and catching bushels of crabs.  It's not a large painting; it's 9 x 12 inches.

Live Crab on Deck
by Jane McElvany Coonce
The other one I painted was when I first brought the crabs home from the market.  I let one of them out on the deck and took a bunch of pictures of him.  (This one is just before he met his untimely death by falling into a pot of steaming water.)  It is a very small painting,  5 x 7 inches.

Once again, if you have better titles for me, please let me know.  The show is not until May, so I have plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment