Sunday, August 4, 2013

Neon Nights

Neon Nights
by Jane McElvany Coonce
I finally got over my artist's block of trying to figure out what to do for my second square painting for the "Be Square" show coming up in September.  I really had a hard time becoming inspired.  I started a night scene one night, and after about 2 hours, decided that I hated it.  So I took a paper towel and wiped it.  I immediately stopped and looked at the wiped painting and thought, "That looks better!"  So I started painting on it again.  After about another hour, I realized I was feeling the "hate" again.  I wiped it again.  Again, I liked it better.  I decided that was enough for one night, and I would let this "wiped painting" dry and serve as my underpainting.  Two days later, when I came back to it, I liked what I saw.  I began to build on top of this "wiped painting" not covering up the underpainting, but letting it show through.  This was the result.  I'm much happier.

Put Friday, Sept 6 on your calendar.  That's the reception for "Be Square" at the Gallery Underground. Reception is from 5 - 8 pm.  I'll be there and would love to see you.  It should be an interesting show.  All paintings will be on a 10x10 square canvas.  It will be amazing to see what each artist does with his or her 100 square inches of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment