Monday, May 19, 2014

The May Show at The Art League

Venetian Laundry
by Jane McElvany Coonce
I wanted to enter the juried art show in May at the Art League, but I knew I'd be away.  So my friend, Moira, took it down for me while I was gone.  I was thrilled to find out that I got into the show.  It always feels like I won the lottery when my painting gets selected!  That joyous feeling never goes away.  (It's probably similar to kids hearing it's a snow day and there is no school!)

This was a watercolor I did from a photo I took in Venice.  Everyone in Italy hangs their laundry from the window.  No one has dryers.  I think the houses are too small to take up the space with a big dryer, and I also believe that the electricity is so expensive that they save money by air drying.  It actually looks quaint hanging from windows in buildings that were probably built in the 16th century.

When I was in one of the hill towns of Umbria last week, I saw some beautiful panties hanging from the ground floor window.  I thought to myself, "this would never work in the United States; some teenager would swipe those just for the fun of it." (sort of the same "hit the lottery" feeling I get when I enter shows.)  I guess the Italian boys are used to seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment