Saturday, September 8, 2018

3rd Post on the Mural at Preston's Pharmacy

White rectangles ready for the "photos" of Arlington
Drawing of Preston's from 1940
 Now that the background was done, I began to prepare the "photos".  I taped off the rectangles and painted them all white.  It took 2 coats so it took most of the day.

I went home and drew the image of Preston's Pharmacy from a photo from 1940. (Preston's was at Glebe Rd and Lee Highway back then. )It's easier to draw at home when I can do it on a piece of paper on the table and erase lines easily.  Once I was satisfied with the drawing, I traced my drawing. I took the tracing back to Preston's. Using transfer paper (carbon paper) I transferred my drawing onto the wall.

Transferred drawing on the wall with reference photo

 Then the fun begins. I begin to paint the scene. I finished it except for small details like the telephone wires and the lettering on the windows. I decide it would be better  to do it when I'm fresh the next day.

Lots of customers stop and comment about the mural. It's fun to meet new people. Even some of my friends have stopped by : Janet Tramonte, Patty Lynch and Robert Twining, all friends from high school ( although technically, Robert has been my friend since diapers.) I love having people stop by. It gives me a chance to take a break and step back and look at my work.
Almost finished "Old Preston's"

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on the mural at Preston's. I'm doing the fun stuff now. The actual scenes of Arlington. Here's the first "photo": the old Preston's of 1940 when it was on Glebe Rd and Lee Highway.

    ReplyDelete