Monday, September 24, 2018

Finished Mural at Preston's Pharmacy

Scenes of Arlington Mural at Preston's Pharmacy
by Jane McElvany Coonce
Today I finished painting the mural that I've been working on for a month.  I started exactly 1 month ago today! It's been lots of fun, painting and talking to the customers who come into the store. Everyone has been very supportive of the work.

Some people don't get it. It's a trompe L'oeil mural; it's supposed to look like photographs pinned up on a bulletin board.  I painted the cork, I painted the frame and did the woodgrain, I painted the pushpins, and I painted 8 scenes of Arlington. Some people ask if those are big photos up on the wall. When I tell them I painted them, they say they don't understand. Not sure why that's so hard to understand. They ask questions like, "What did you paint that on?" When I say, "The wall," they look at me like I didn't understand the question. When I point to the other green walls in the store and say it started out looking like this green wall, they look at me in disbelief.

I've met a lot of great people, customers and employees of Preston's. I thank everyone for your words of encouragement. It's been a long haul, but it's almost over. Tomorrow I will varnish the painting, let it dry and put a 2nd coat of varnish on. Then I can declare it completely finished! 

Stop by and see it next time you are close. Preston's Pharmacy is at 5101 Lee Highway (at the corner of North Edison St and Lee Highway) in Arlington. It's on the back wall of the store. You can't miss it.

1 comment: