Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Name this Painting by Cupcake Jane

Cupcakes
by Jane McElvany Coonce
Twice a year, I leave town and head for the Shenandoah to an art retreat with my mentor Diane Tesler and paint with other artist-friends for 3 solid days.  Still lifes are set up and the painting begins.  It's great because I can really focus on the still life at hand with no interruptions.  No laundry, no telephone, no computer, no cooking, no grocery shopping. We paint all day and go out to dinner at night. It's amazing what you can get done when you don't have to take care of anyone else.  I look forward to my painting get-away and have been doing this for many years.

This Fall,  I did the cupcake painting.  I don't have a good title yet.  That's one thing I'm terrible at is naming paintings.  Please help me name this one.   This painting had many challenges.  One was the lamp that I put on the still life started melting the frosting, and cupcakes were sliding out of place. However,  the light is needed on the subject matter to create light areas and shadows.  Another problem was the striped towel. It gave me fits, and I repainted the towel 3 times.  But I finished "the bloody thing" that weekend and now I need a title.  So put your creative juices to work and help me out of this dilemna.

 Thanks from your friend, Cupcake Jane.

1 comment: