Friday, November 9, 2012

Seascape Project in my Art Classes

Path to the Beach
by Jane McElvany Coonce

Each semester, I give my students a theme that we will focus on.  I try to make it something that they will learn multiple things from.
This Fall, our theme was the seascape.  I wanted them to do something with clouds, sea, sand dunes, and sea oats.

Afternoon Glow on the Dune
by Jane McElvany Coonce
The first week, I demonstrated the sky and clouds and we also blocked in the sand, sand shadows and placement of the grasses.

We allowed the painting to dry for a week.

Day's End
by Jane McElvany Coonce
The next week, we focused on the thin grasses and the sea oats, added fences and birds.  We also went back and punched out the lightest lights and the darkest darks.  

All of my students did an amazing job.  For some of my students, it was the first painting they ever did. For my long time students, they painted like a pro.

My three demos all look like they could be Fall scenes at the beach.  Someone may ask why paint beach scenes in the Fall.  I think the Fall is the best time to go to the beach (less crowds, whether still nice) so why not paint the beach in the Fall, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment