Thursday, March 19, 2020

22 Bottles of Beer


22 Bottles of Beer
by Jane McElvany Coonce
24x36

Here's a cute story.

When my oldest son, Nicholas, was in college, he asked me to do a painting for him for his apartment.
I asked him what he wanted, and he said he didn't know.  I asked him what he liked, and he said "beer." I decided to paint a
trompe l'oeil painting for him. (Fool the eye.).  I painted the canvas to look like 3 shelves.  I did the wood graining.  I decided I wanted every beer bottle to be different.  I went over to the Lost Dog Cafe because they are known for having hundreds of beers. I told them about my project. When I asked if they recycled, they said no, but that I was welcome to look through their trash cans in the back of the store.  I went out into the alley and began pulling out bottles, saving the ones I wanted to put in my painting.  I had about 15 bottles when I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, a couple walking down the sidewalk.  I heard the woman say, "Oh the poor dear is hungry."  I realized she was talking about me! I quickly gathered my bottles and left.  I bought the rest of the bottles to finish the painting.  The things we do for art!

No comments:

Post a Comment