Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Boathouse on the Potomac


The Potomac Boat Club in Georgetown
Original oil painting by Jane McElvany Coonce
16x20
Here's the latest painting I've been working on this week.  It's a scene of the Potomac Boat Club that sits on the edge of the Potomac River.  In the background is Georgetown University's towers. 

I have to give thanks to Allen Pierce who invited me to go out in the early morning with his crew team.  I had to be down in Georgetown  at 5 am. I sat in the motorized boat and snapped photos as we motored along.  I've done quite a few paintings from this early morning adventure.  It is so quiet on the river at 5 am.  There are very few cars out, and the river is very peaceful.  I can see how people get addicted to rowing.  It's a very special time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment