Thursday, March 19, 2020

Harry Potter's Bookshelf

Harry Potter's Bookshelf
painting by Jane McElvany Coonce
I am posting another trompe l'oeil painting so that my 2nd son, Kevin, doesn't get his nose out of joint.  When Kevin was little, he didn't like to read.  He never wanted to read anything.  My librarian friend, Nancy Roche, told me about a new series that was out called Harry Potter. She said the books were very good, and I should read it to him.  I bought the book, and each night before bed, I would read a chapter to him.  If you haven't read Harry Potter books, they are funny, sad and also downright scary.  When we would get to a scary part, Kevin would snuggle closer as I read to him.  We finished the book, and we both loved it!  He asked me to read it to him again.  I handed him the book and said, "No, you read it."  And with that, Kevin read the first Harry Potter book again.  He proceeded to read every other book that came out. J.K.Rowling, the author of the book, turned a non-reader into an avid reader.  Kevin is grown now, and he is in 2 book clubs.  Thanks, Ms. Rowlings for changing my son's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment