Monday, March 23, 2020

Adding something to an Old Painting- Vases of Flowers

Vases of Flowers
1st attempt

Here's a still life that I call "Vases of Flowers."
When I thought I was finished, I let it sit a while.  I felt it was missing something. So I went back and added some more flowers.  I put a rose of Sharon in the pink vase, and I put some hydrangeas in the green vase. I like it a lot better.

To try out a new idea on an old painting, I put a piece of transparency over my painting. Then I paint on the transparency and see if I like my idea.  I can move the transparency around and see where I want to put the flowers. Once I believe I like how it looks, I remove the transparency and paint the flowers on the canvas.

Do you like the 2nd one better?
Vases of Flowers
Final Version
oil painting by Jane McElvany Coonce

No comments:

Post a Comment