Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Putting the finishing touches on a Painting




My goal for the next 3 weeks is to add the finishing touches on some paintings that I started earlier this year but never quite finished.  Some of them are 90% done and others are more like 75%.  "Late Summer Sailing" is a painting I started up on the Eastern Shore.
Late Summer Sailing
by Jane McElvany Coonce
I started it when I was up in Oxford on the Eastern Shore, and I had it about 90% done.  I didn't finish it on site, and it has been sitting in my studio for months.  So today, I decided to do that last 10% so that I could sign it and get it ready to frame.  

As an artist, if you put a painting aside, you can lose the momentum that you had, and it makes it more difficult to finish.  I have about 5 of these unfinished pieces.  So each day, I will pick one up and work on it.  This is the first of the lot that I focused on and finished.  

I have a few more to go, and I will show them to you as I finish. Finishing these paintings also helps to clean up my studio.  When you have a bunch of unfinished paintings sitting around, it takes up room, and it's also like having a cloud hanging over your head.  So there is one less cloud in the sky today.  4 more to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment