Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Winter of 2015

After a Day of Sledding
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce
Since many of you are sitting at home watching the snow fall, I thought I would entertain you with some of my winter scenes.  Hopefully, winter is almost over, and I'll have to put my winter scenes away until next year.  People don't really buy winter scenes when the temperature is 95 degrees outside.

Black Capped Chickadee
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce
Winter scenes usually have cooler colors in them.  What do I mean by cooler colors?  Cooler colors are usually blues and purples.  When you think of snow, you don't think of red or orange.warm colors.  (Yellow is a warm color, but I don't want to talk about yellow snow except to say that you shouldn't eat it.)  The snow reflects the colors of the sky.  So on a gray day, the snow will look like shades of lavender.  On a blue sky winter day, the snow will have blue reflecting in it's shadows.

Snow is beautiful to look at, and also, it's beautiful to paint.  But after this winter, I'm ready for some warm and even hot weather.  I promise not to complain this summer when it gets to be 95 degrees!
Snow at Mt. Vernon
watercolor by Jane McElvany Coonce

No comments:

Post a Comment