Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Art League Juried Show -March 2015

Catching the Bus
watercolor painting by Jane McElvany Coonce
Today was the jurying for the March 2015 juried show at The Art League.  They have a juried show each month and I always try to enter.  It pushes me to do my best work because competition is stiff.  It's also a crap shoot because on any given day you could be picked or not.  Each month, it's a different juror and each juror has their own preferences and taste.

I was thrilled that my piece, "Catching the Bus," was selected for this month's show.  Only about 100 piece out of 450 pieces were selected.  I always feel like I won the lottery when I get in the show.

I did this piece from a photo I took in New York.  My son and I rode the bus up to the city and I sat in the front seat so that as we pulled into New York early in the morning, I could snap pictures as we drove down the street.  I got some great shots and this is one of the paintings I did from that series of photos.

The show is in Old Town Alexandria in the Torpedo Factory.  It will be up for the month of March.  If you get a chance, stop by and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment